Cellular phone and PDA usability screening is critical to your business. Actually mobile and handheld usability testing could be even more important than computer-based usability testing. The main reasons for this are:
— The number of persons accessing the net from mobile phone and portable devices is increasing at a massive level – in 2008 the only person there’ll end up being an estimated 58 million PDAs sold all over the world.
– People generally have much less experience of using their mobile to get online than they do of using their computer system. This means that computer-based users may be assumed to have a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld delouya.co.il users.
– The platform through which users get your site is certainly far less predictable when using mobile phones. Computer-based website visitors generally only differ from the other in their web browser and main system (i. vitamin e. most people will make use of a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas different types of mobile phones and PDAs change can significantly.
Which will mobile phones and PDAs do you need to consider?
Mobile phones and PDAs can differ from a single another dramatically, and this might radically switch how persons experience and use websites. Some of the ways handheld products can differ involve:
– Screen size (small vs . large)
– Display layout (portrait vs . landscape)
— Input device (stylus, numeric pad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the mobile phone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that someone is employing will have such a serious effect on their experience of your web site, you should try to try with as much mobile phones and PDAs as it can be.
Of course , evaluating with every cellphone and PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT is difficult. Here are some ideas to help reduce the number of equipment you’ll need to evaluation with:
– Your mobile site visitors might belong to a particular audience. A number of audiences often prefer particular types of phones (e. g. phones with big screens that are designed to support over the internet access or small-screen designs that aren’t).
– There are ‘phone families’ that offer a very similar user experience (and will never need to be tested individually).
— You may only want to test while using most popular mobile phones in Europe or the most popular models that are to be used to gain access to your site (you can look at your site stats to find out this information).
Who do you want to test with?
The people you want to conduct your mobile phone user friendliness testing periods with can, of course , depend on your particular organization and its viewers. Some things to make note of include:
– How much experience they should currently have of utilizing their mobile phones to locate services. This can be particularly significant as the market with regards to accessing on line services through mobile phones keeps growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. people using the technology for the first time) will be a good deal higher than for the purpose of computer users of the website.
— Which mobile phone or PDA they have. We might usually advise that people employ their own cellphone in a treatment, so the test can focus on your website rather than on the way the handheld device performs.
In which should cellular usability examining sessions end up being conducted?
Cell phones and PDAs are used in the real world therefore usability testing of hand held devices will need to therefore not simply take place in a usability clinical.
Where, when and how a mobile phone can be used is critical to a person’s experience of the site they are really accessing. Some of the following situations could affect this knowledge and therefore considerations of the website’s usability:
– Background sound
– Concurrent tasks (i. e. anything the person does at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we’d recommend, if at all possible, that any kind of mobile phone and PDA user friendliness testing is definitely conducted at a lab and also inside the ‘outside world’.
How you arrange and operate mobile phone wonderful sessions will be based on your organization and its customers, but the many popular techniques of mobile functionality testing contain:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
– Diary-studies (asking people to keep a diary of how they may have used the mobile phone and any problems they encounter)
– Magazine prototypes (running usability tests on a paper-based version for the site, employing mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)