Mobile phone and PDA usability screening is critical on your business. Actually mobile and handheld functionality testing could possibly be even more important than computer-based usability testing. The key reasons for this are:
— The number of people accessing the web from portable and hand held devices is definitely increasing at a massive price – in 2008 by itself there’ll be an estimated 54.99 million PDAs sold across the world.
— People generally have much less experience of employing their mobile to get online than they do of using their computer. This means that computer-based users may be assumed to have a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld icomimi.com users.
– The platform whereby users gain access to your site can be far less expected when using cell phones. Computer-based readers generally simply differ from one another in their browser and os (i. vitamin e. most people will use a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas the several types of mobile phones and PDAs differ can dramatically.
Which usually mobile phones and PDAs should you consider?
Cellphones and PDAs can differ in one another considerably, and this can radically modify how persons experience and use websites. Some of the ways that handheld equipment can differ consist of:
– Screen size (small or large)
– Display layout (portrait vs . landscape)
— Input machine (stylus, numeric keypad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellular phone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that someone is using will have these kinds of a unique effect on their experience of your web sites, you should try to test with as much mobile phones and PDAs as is possible.
Of course , testing with every mobile phone and PDA is impossible. Here are some ways to help focus the number of products you’ll need to check with:
– Your cellular site visitors may well belong to a unique audience. Specified audiences typically prefer particular types of phones (e. g. mobile handsets with big screens that can support on line access versus small-screen designs that aren’t).
– There are ‘phone families’ that offer a very similar user encounter (and will never need to be tested individually).
— You may only want to test with all the most well-known mobile phones in Europe or maybe the most well-known models that are being used to gain access to your site (you actually can look at your site statistics to find out this kind of information).
Who do you want to test with?
The people you intend to conduct your mobile phone simplicity testing visits with definitely will, of course , depend on your particular organization and its customers. Some things to keep in mind include:
— How much experience they should have got of utilizing their mobile phones to get into services. This is particularly important as the market for the purpose of accessing on line services through mobile phones is growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. persons using the technology for the first time) will be significantly higher than with regards to computer users of the website.
– Which mobile phone or PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT they have. We would usually suggest that people apply their own cellular phone in a session, so the check can focus on your website without on the way the handheld device functions.
Where should mobile usability testing sessions end up being conducted?
Mobile phones and PDAs are used in the real world hence usability diagnostic tests of hand held devices will need to therefore not simply take place in a usability lab.
Where, when and how a mobile phone is employed is critical into a person’s connection with the site they can be accessing. Some following circumstances could influence this experience and therefore things to consider of the website’s usability:
– Background noise
– Contingency tasks (i. e. anything the person is doing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, there was recommend, whenever possible, that any kind of mobile phone and PDA wonderful testing is definitely conducted at a lab and also in the ‘outside world’.
How you strategy and run mobile phone wonderful sessions depends on your business and its crowd, but the many popular techniques of mobile usability testing include:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
— Diary-studies (asking people to continue to keep a journal of how they have used their mobile phone and any challenges they encounter)
– Traditional prototypes (running usability testing on a paper based version for the site, employing mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)