Cellular phone and PDA usability examining is critical on your business. In fact , mobile and handheld functionality testing could be even more important than computer-based usability testing. The key reasons for this are:
– The number of persons accessing the Internet from cellular and portable devices is definitely increasing for a massive lai.se.gov.br level – in 2008 on your there’ll end up being an estimated 58 million PDAs sold all over the world.
— People generally have a lot less experience of utilizing their mobile to travel online than they do of using their pc. This means that computer-based users may be assumed to get a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld users.
— The platform by which users gain access to your site can be far less expected when using mobiles. Computer-based prospects generally just differ from one other in their web browser and operating-system (i. age. most people will make use of a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas the several types of mobile phones and PDAs change can substantially.
Which mobile phones and PDAs do you need to consider?
Mobiles and PDAs can differ from another drastically, and this will radically change how persons experience and use websites. Some of the ways that handheld devices can differ contain:
– Screen size (small versus large)
– Display screen layout (portrait vs . landscape)
– Input unit (stylus, numeric keypad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellphone / PDA that an individual is using will have this sort of a deep effect on their experience of your web site, you should try to check with several mobile phones and PDAs as is feasible.
Of course , assessment with every cellphone and PDA is hopeless. Here are some guidelines to help reduce the number of devices you’ll need to evaluation with:
– Your cellular site visitors may possibly belong to a specific audience. Particular audiences are inclined to prefer particular types of phones (e. g. handsets with big screens that can support on the web access versus small-screen designs that aren’t).
– You will find ‘phone families’ that offer the same user experience (and will never need to be tested individually).
– You may want to00 test with the most well-liked mobile phones in Europe as well as most well-liked models that are being used to gain access to your site (you can check your site statistics to find out this kind of information).
Who do you want to test with?
The people you need to conduct your mobile phone wonderful testing consultations with will, of course , rely upon your particular business and its target market. Some things to keep in mind include:
— How much knowledge they should currently have of using their mobile phones to gain access to services. This really is particularly important as the market for the purpose of accessing internet services through mobile phones is growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. people using the technology for the first time) will be far higher than designed for computer users of the website.
– Which cellphone or PDA they have. We might usually advise that people use their own cellular phone in a time, so the test can give attention to your website not on the way the handheld device functions.
Wherever should portable usability evaluating sessions be conducted?
Mobile phones and PDAs are used inside the real world consequently usability evaluating of hand held devices ought to therefore not simply take place in a usability lab.
Where, when and how a mobile phone is needed is critical into a person’s experience of the site they are simply accessing. Many of the following situations could influence this encounter and therefore concerns of the site’s usability:
— Background sound
– Concurrent tasks (i. e. whatever the person has been doing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we would recommend, if possible, that any kind of mobile phone and PDA wonderful testing is conducted in a lab and also in the ‘outside world’.
How you plan and run mobile phone user friendliness sessions depends on your business and its audience, but the the majority of popular ways of mobile user friendliness testing include:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
— Diary-studies (asking people to preserve a diary of how they have used their particular mobile phone and any concerns they encounter)
– Standard paper prototypes (running usability assessment on a paper-based version with the site, applying mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)